Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spring Cleaning Part 2

I'm still really enjoying my homemade dishwasher detergent cubes I talked about here, so I figured I'd continue the trend and make my own household cleaners using some green cleaning recipes I've seen on Pinterest.

The first set of recipes came from this pin which is from heandsheeatclean.com. I used their recipes for window cleaner, all-purpose cleaner, and dusting spray. I also used a recipe from justusgirls.com for a super simple tub and shower cleaner which can be found here. All of the ingredients are simple and cheap.



Here are all the recipes I used listed out:

Window Cleaner

1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups of warm water

All-Purpose Cleaner

2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Dawn dish soap
4 tablespoons white vinegar
400 milliliters warm water (about 13 oz)

Dusting Spray

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 cup warm water

Tub Cleaner

12 oz Dawn dish soap
12 oz vinegar

I purchased some 24 ounce spray bottles from Wal-Mart to put all of the cleaning products in. All recipes say to put the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake well to mix them up. The tub cleaner recipe says to heat the vinegar up in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes until it's hot and then mix it with the Dawn. I wrote the cleaner type and recipe on the outside of each bottle in Sharpie so I could duplicate them easily when they run out.

For the 24 ounce bottles, I doubled the dusting spray recipe in order to fill up the bottle. The all-purpose cleanser bubbles and "erupts" when you mix the vinegar and baking soda, so add the ingredients together a little at a time to avoid a mess. I used a funnel to get everything in the bottles and it worked really well.

I'm really excited about these cleaners - they're simple and easy to make, don't include a bunch of weird ingredients that you can't pronounce, and they're cheaper than their store-bought counterparts. I'm looking forward to trying them out!




No comments:

Post a Comment